Blog Entry 3





For this entry, I decided to interview my mentor teacher, Mrs. Martinez, who works at Pilgrim Academy. I have known her for approximately 2 months, and we have become quite close. I find myself texting her like I would my very close friends. In the short time span that I have known her, I have learned a great deal from her and I look forward to the rest of my time with her this school year!


Reflection:

Although my interview with my teacher was not as long as was required, I feel like I got a lot of valid, and resourceful information from it. Her answers supported a lot of what I have learned and read about in class. She told me previously (not mentioned in the interview recording) that she had taken Spanish as a foreign language since she was in the 5th grade. She is now currently fluent in Spanish and can hold up conversations and understand native speakers. This being said, she still struggles with some terminology and reading and writing it. She learned through the Grammar-Translation method, where the teacher constantly enforced vocabulary memorization and grammar rules (Brown & Lee, 2015, pg. 36). I related to her in that this was the same way I learned. I think this enforces what I have learned in that this method was very common back in the day, and still is common today, but there are definitely more methods of teaching a second language emerging. It is said in the book that “when learning and teaching an additional language, we must be aware of the complex and dynamic relationship between language and cultural customs, values, and beliefs that are embedded in language practice” (Brown & Lee, 2015, pg. 157). I think that a lot of her answers about the ways to support ELLs in classrooms is aligned with this statement. She makes sure to be understanding of cultures and forms genuine relationships with them and their families to get to know them on a deeper level. She groups and partners students who speak the same language or share the same cultural background together so that they can be more comfortable, and learn from one another in their native language, while also learning English as a second language. We utilize visual aids in the classroom a lot because it has been proven to be effective, and in my experience, I agree. Students who come from different backgrounds and speak a different language still know what the illustration is, and whether they say it in their own language or in English, they are learning and still comprehend what is being taught. With the instructional programs in the classroom, I have worked with my teacher and the students and the implementation of guided reading, dual language programs, and immersion programs are all really great models used to deal with nonnative English-speaking students. In an immersion program, “the teacher not only is certified in the regular content areas but also has some knowledge of the students’ first language and culture” (Brown & Lee, 2015, pg. 171). Pilgrim Academy is a 96% Hispanic school and Mrs. Martinez’s proficiency in Spanish is a real advantage for her in the classroom and she definitely makes sure to use her second language to help the students, as well as help herself be the best educator that she can be.

Comments

  1. Jenny,
    I loved listening to your audio; however I enjoyed reading your reflection more! I love how you mentioned more on your professor’s background and the way you compared it to your own experiences. Just like you I also experienced and learned from the Grammar- Translation Method, and still today I don’t like it. I think if teachers want to see a change they have to be willing to change some things themselves. I did admire the fact that the professor combined alike languages for the students to learn from one another. According to the text, “being able to work in pairs or groups can get students to share information and help each other at the same time” (Brown & Lee, 2015, pg.55), I think that’s exactly what your professor was trying to accomplish. We also shared some similarities; your interviewee mentioned cultures playing a big part in connecting with the students as did my professor. After conducting this interview have any of your thoughts changed about ESL teachers? Have you ever considered becoming certified?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolie,
      I really liked that you mentioned that if teachers want to see a change today, they have to be willing to change some things themselves. I think that although some traditional teaching methods still work today, it doesn't hurt to keep up-to-date with new teaching methods and maybe even trying incorporating some of them in to your every day lesson. It doesn't have to be all at once, but maybe little by little, or pick and choose what you want to take from the new teaching method, while still using some aspects of the old method.

      Delete
  2. Your video with your mentor teacher and your reflection both gave me a lot of insight on how your school works with the Spanish speaking learners! What stood out to me the most is when your mentor teacher mentioned that she “uses lots of visuals, slows your [her] speech, and look for partners that can connect with them” for students whose first language is not English. “Pair work and group work give rise to interaction” and it is important to be the “initiator of the interaction” between students (Brown & Lee, 2015, p. 173). Working with peers can really help English Language Learners not feel alone in their learning and learn from others around them. It is more student centered and teacher directed, which will give the students more autonomy and motivation to learn the English language. I can tell that your teacher definitely knows what’s best for her English Language Learners, which is refreshing when there is a high need for a teacher with that knowledge at your school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly,
      I have been learning a lot about teaching regular students, as well as ELL students at my field observation. I have noticed from other interviews that I have watched and listened to, that visuals and pair work are very effective in helping ELL students learn a second language. As we know, all students do not learn at the same pace and they do not start at the same starting point. It is important that we, as teachers, understand this and use this knowledge to the best of our abilities to get the students where they need to be. I agree with your comment that working with peers helps ELLs not feel alone in their learning, and it really does help them learn better and faster when they are learning from one another. I have seen this in my field observation and I can say 100% that it truly works!

      Delete
  3. Hello Jenny!
    During your interview, your mentor teacher talked a lot about the being aware of cultural norms to that of ELL’s and understanding their backgrounds. The first step in understanding your student’s backgrounds, whether ELL or not, is to have genuine relationships like she stated. One thing that stood out to me was her strategy of grouping students by social and demographic backgrounds. I think that this is a great strategy to have initially, especially if ELL students are in their silent period. Wright (2015), states that students using L1 may not be ready to speak in the classroom of native L2 speakers when they first arrive. Eventually this will change once they begin to build their L2 vocabulary and confidence level. When ELL’s first come into an English native speaking classroom, I can imagine that it may be intimidating at first. I agree with this strategy of social grouping to allow students to feel more at home and welcomed at school. This will grant students time to build friendships with students of the same native language.


    Wright, W.E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy and practice. (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Calson. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie,
      I actually have a great example of what you pointed out in my video about my teacher using the strategy of grouping students together by social and demographic backgrounds. I had a new student who just moved here a couple weeks ago and only spoke Arabic, and knew bits and pieces of English language, but could not write or read it. My teacher and I put her at a table with another Arabic student who understood the English language already, and they were able to work with one another and the English proficient student was able to get the other up-to-speed so quickly and easily! I feel as though she was in a silent period at first and she was scared and intimidated, but with the help of another student with a similar background/culture as her helping her, these intimidations were dissipated.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jenny!
    Your mentor teacher made good points in that learning should be student centered in that it is really all about how the student learns best. Being able to use classroom groups and pairing of students with similar backgrounds is a good way to help ELL to be more comfortable in their learning environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny,
    I was really inspired after watching your video. Because I haven't watched a video of a teacher who is a fluent Spanish teacher accommodating many concepts to help a student who needs additional help and support. Because it may get tough for her to help students comprehend English as well since she is a fluent Spanish speaker. It is a very great way she is taking additional steps to know the students culture and traditions that way she is able to help the child out in a different way so they can comprehend certain assignments better. However, it is great to see your school taking additional steps to help the student out even outside of the classroom. But since it is an Hispanic school it can get easier for the school to assist all the students all at once in order to keep all of them successful and at the same stage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry 2

Blog Entry 4