Blog Entry 4

Upon enrolling in this class, I thought I would have had a lot of background knowledge on this subject because I was once and English language learner and English was my second language. But after actually doing the quizzes, blogs, and research, I came to find out that I actually knew very little about what it takes to actually teach, assess, and understand English language learners. I learned about a lot of different methods and strategies to instruct them, such as the grammar-translation method, series and direct methods, audiolingual method, community language learning, suggestopedia, silent way, and total physical response and the natural approach. I know how I was taught French physically, but I did not know that there was actually research behind it and a name for it. The grammar-translation method is a classroom where the teacher is the controller, and the main goals for learning are vocabulary memorization, grammar rules, translation of passages, and reading proficiency (Brown & Lee, 2015, pg. 36). There were a couple weaknesses with this method, that I found to be accurate from my learnings, such as no oral practice/fluency and reliance on memorization.
There are a lot of different English language learners in the world today, and there are a lot of different strategies and techniques to teach them. I have come to realize that not all ELLs are the same, and they all do not learn in the same way. You must do your research on your students, and see what works best for them and implement that technique or method in your teachings. When it comes to assessing them, there are many different tests that can be used in a classroom. There are things called “traditional tests” such as norm-referenced scores, focus on the “right answer”, summative, or non-interactive performance, and then there are “alternatives in assessment” such as criterion-referenced scores, open-ended, creative answers, formative, and interactive performance (Brown & Lee, 2015, pg. 507). ELLs need accommodations and modifications in assessing and instructing because not only are they learning new content, but they are also having to learn another language. This can be very difficult for students, which is why it is important to provide differentiated instruction and be sure to implement strategies such as visual aids, slowed speech, and one-on-one interactions.
I think this class will impact my professional practice positively. I have learned a great deal about different methods of teaching and assessing, and I know that every student is different and unique in their own way. Knowing this, I must be able to prepare myself for different ELLs and find what method of learning fits them best. There are new techniques and methods emerging every day, and it is my job as an educator to stay up-to-date on these new techniques so that I can do my job to the best of my ability. I think all of the aspects or topics in this course were tied together, and they were all of equal importance. There was not a topic that I felt should have gotten more or less attention, and I think I learned a lot during each chapter/unit.
This course affected my teaching philosophy in that I will be more open-minded to new and improved teaching methods, because I think that that really affected my learning when I was learning another language in high school. I think my teacher was stuck on one method, or that was the only method she knew, and that’s why she taught all of the students in the same way. I understand that it might be easier to stick to one method and teach it to all of the students, but I don’t believe that it is most effective. As I have mentioned over and over again, all students, including ELLs, learn differently and it is our duty as educators to make sure that we are able to give them the knowledge that they need to be successful. Even if it makes our jobs harder, it is what we signed up to do as educators and it is important that we do our jobs.

I think the use of blogs in this course was helpful, and interactive. I liked being able to read other classmates’ thoughts and ideas, and listening to different ELL teachers’ insight on their ELL classrooms. Having us post 3 academic comments on our fellow classmates’ blogs, and an additional 7 comments after that, was a little bit tedious, but I felt like it really helped with collaborative learning. It felt like an actual classroom, instead of an “online” classroom. I think that the blogs really helped us to interact with one another and it was a way of getting constructive criticism, or to get us to think more about what we initially posted. In my future classroom, I may use something like this (depending on the grade level that I am given), but maybe to a lesser extent (i.e. less additional comments, and maybe only the academic comments). Overall, the class was very informative and I learned a lot, but I think that the work load may have been a little much. 

Comments

  1. One of the main challenges you encounter as a professor or as a teacher is to determine how much work is enough for your students to actually learn what they need. I have given a lot of thought about the number of comments and replies that should be assigned as well as the number of words every student should write. However, I haven’t found the answer yet. I guess I will have to research and see at what point in the number of posts students show that they have read and understood the material. Do you have any ideas? What will you do to make it less of a burden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Avellaneda,
      I think the 3 academic comments (150 words), as well as maybe 2-3 additional comments (50 words) should suffice for the blog entries. I think with the initial post, you should already know whether or not the student has read and understood the material, and the additional comments made are just further support and elaboration. I think that they are a good thing to have for an online class because it creates a sense of community, but it is a little burdensome to have to make 10 comments per blog entry. I just feel as though comments will get repetitive and will have less meaning if you require too many.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny!

    I agree with you blog on how we learned a lot about the different methods we could use when teaching our future classroom and out future English Language Learners. I also agree how everyone learns differently including ELLs and it is our duty to make sure that we try our best to find the best method to teach each and every student. As the book Brown & Lee says, if we can not find one best method, we should find the best parts of each method and make our own the works best for us and our students. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      I think it is so fascinating to read about past methods, and compare and contrast them to new methods! It’s cool to see how some things have remained the same, and some things have changed. You can ultimately tell that the things that have remained the same are obviously things that are effective. I have noticed it in my classroom and have found the evidence to be supporting of these methods. I did mention that everyone learns differently, and I am glad that you agree with my statement. The job of an educator is not always easy, but you must always do your best in order to teach all of your students to the best of your ability!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the class. It is important for a teacher to get to know her students both in the classroom as well as their home life. I believe this is the most beneficial resource of research we can do. Knowing a students' background will tell us so much as to how we need to teach that student. And like you made mention of, all students do not learn the same, therefore knowing the background of our students will help us find that majority vote and hopefully have the best success in a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      I love your comment, "Knowing a student's background will tell us so much as to how we need to teach that student." Taking the student as a whole when we consider how to teach each content area to ELLs is so important for us to reach that student. We need to be able to recognize where the student is needing support. This will better help us to know how to teach our class as a whole as well. I can look at how I am teaching a writing lesson in my student teaching class and be able to adjust for extra support for my ELLs while probably helping other students as well.

      Delete
  4. Jenny,
    You made some valid points when stating the importance of assessment in the classroom and different methods of using assessment. When you're outside of the field of teaching it might be a difficult concept to grasp but assessment is everything you do in the classroom, whether you're doing high-tasking or low-tasking activities in the classroom the teacher always has opportunity to assess. For this reason, there are so many different types of assessment. Even so there so assessments that are better suited for certain populations. For example, with youngest groups of students you will more than likely have more successful results when assessing them through a formative method that can be incorporated into some kind of play in the classroom. Formative assessment also gives room to improve on the students work instead of summarizing the student’s abilities through a summative assessment, which are more likely necessary at the beginning, middle, and end of the school year (Brown & Lee 2015).

    Brown, H. D., & Lee, H. (2015). Teaching by principles: an interactive approach to language pedagogy (4th ed.). White Plains, NY: Pearson Longman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny!
    I really enjoy reading your blog. It was a relatable and well thought out reflection. Like you, I thought that I had a lot of background knowledge since I actually went through the experience as an English language learner. From this class, I have learned a variety of methods that I would be able to look upon and even practice within my own future classroom. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry 3

Blog Entry 2